FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQS)
- I am currently studying in 3rd year B.A./B.Com./B.Sc. Am I eligible to appear for GATE-2024?
YES, any undergraduate student currently in 3rd year or higher years of any government approved program in Engineering/Technology/Architecture/Arts/Commerce/Science is eligible to appear for GATE 2024.
- I am currently studying in 3rd year B.E., but through parallel entry in the 2nd year after finishing Diploma, am I eligible to appear for GATE 2024?
YES, any undergraduate student currently in 3rd year or higher years of any government approved program in Engineering/Technology/Architecture/Arts/Commerce/Science is eligible to appear for GATE 2024.
- Is there any age limit to appear for GATE 2024?
NO. There is NO age limit to appear for GATE 2024.
- Are there any restrictions on the number of times one can appear for GATE?
NO. One can appear for the GATE examination any number of times.
- Can I appear in any of the GATE 2024 papers?
Although, the candidate is free to choose any of the papers (up to two from the given combinations), candidate should select paper appropriate to the discipline of qualifying degree.
- How do I apply ONLINE?
- Can I use one e-mail address to fill multiple application forms?
NO. One e-mail address can be used to submit only ONE application form.
- Do I need to fill two forms to appear in two papers?
NO. The two papers option may be selected based on the given set of combinations in a SINGLE form only.
- Why should I choose THREE examination cities?
The candidates will most likely be allotted a centre in the examination city of their first choice. Only in cases, where there are too many candidates opting for a certain city as their first choice, the other two choices become relevant. The candidates are required to fill their choices of cities to appear in the examination, but should remember that because of operational constraints, the GATE committee reserves the right to add a new city or remove an existing one, and allot a city that may not be any of the choices of a candidate.
- What do I do, if the power/internet connection failed during the submission of application process?
Please login to your account at GATE 2024 website again and continue the application process.
- Does the OBC (non-creamy layer) or EWS candidate need to upload the category certificate?
- Does the SC/ST/PwD candidate need to upload the category certificate?
YES, category certificate is required to avail the concession in application fee.
- How do I make the fee payment for GATE 2024 examination?
The payment option will appear after filling the online application form in GATE 2024 website. The candidate can opt for any of the payment options listed over there. The additional charges such as service charges, processing fees or bank charges, have to be borne by the candidate.
- How much fee should I pay to appear in Two papers of GATE 2024 examination?
For Application Fee structure, please check: https://gate2024.iisc.ac.in/application-fees/
- What is the fee for candidates with foreign nationality/NRIs?
The fee for foreign nationals is the full Application Fee. See https://gate2024.iisc.ac.in/application-fees/ for more information.
- What is the fee for candidates with Indian nationality appearing at International centres?
GATE 2024 will be conducted only in centres within India. It will not be conducted in centres outside India. Foreign nationals and Indian citizens residing abroad may appear for GATE 2024 by paying the full application fee, but they must choose examination cities within India. They must make their own arrangements for travel and accommodation to appear for the exam at an assigned centre within India. See https://gate2024.iisc.ac.in/application-fees/ for more information.
- What do I do, if power/Internet connection failed during an online payment?
When you can get back online, login back to GATE 2024 website and check the status of the payment. If the payment was received by GATE, you can continue the process of printing the application form. If the payment was not received by GATE 2024, you may initiate a fresh payment.In case, any fee amount that has been debited (deducted) from your bank account, but not received any acknowledgement for fee payment from GATE 2024, then the money will be credited back to your account. However, this may take a week or more.
- Money has been debited from my account more than once. How do I get the money back?
All multiple payments received on behalf of GATE 2024 from your account with respect to one application, will automatically be returned (credited) to the same bank account. However, this may take a week or more.
- Do I have to send the print-out of the application form?
NO. The print-out of the application form is not required to be sent to the Organising Institute or any other GATE zonal offices.
- When and how will I know the status of my application?
You can check the status of your application by logging into GATE 2024 website time to time.
- After completing the ONLINE application process and generating a PDF file, will I be able to change my application data?
NO. After completing all the steps up to PDF application form generation in the ONLINE application process, you can only download the application form and CANNOT modify the data. Hence, you need to be very careful while entering the data.
- I have missed to take a print-out of my ONLINE application at the end of my application process. How will I get access to it?
You can login using Enrolment ID and password and take a print-out for your own reference.The print-out must not be sent to GATE Organising Institute or Zonal Office.
- If I have not uploaded photograph as per the specifications mentioned, will my application be rejected?
Your application will be marked DEFECTIVE. You will be intimated by email, SMS or phone call from your respective Zone to RECTIFY your DEFECT (by uploading a new photograph). You will be given chances for rectification up to the deadline, beyond which your application will either be considered as PROVISIONAL or REJECTED.
- If I have not uploaded signature as per the specifications mentioned, will my application be rejected?
Your application will be marked DEFECTIVE. You will be intimated by email, SMS or phone call from your respective Zone to RECTIFY your DEFECT (by uploading a new signature image). You will be given chances for rectification up to a deadline, beyond which your application will either be considered as PROVISIONAL or REJECTED.
- Which Identity Document (ID) will be accepted in the application form?
For Indian candidates, the following valid photo identification documents/cards will be accepted: Aadhaar-UID (preferable), Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID and Driving License. For foreign nationals, documents like valid Passport, any other valid photo ID issued by their government, Driving License is acceptable.
- Is there a relaxation in qualifying mark and fee for the EWS (Economically weaker section) candidates?
The application fee for EWS candidates will be same as that of General candidates, however, the qualifying mark is 90% as that of the General candidates.
- What will happen if I am not able to produce EWS certificate at the time of admission/counselling etc.?
GATE has nothing to do with subsequent admission or recruitment process.
- Do I have to upload my EWS certificate during the application process?
- I want to take TWO papers from the two papers combination. However, while filling online form I have added only one paper and made the payment. Can I add the second paper to the same enrolment ID?
Immediately after making the payment you will not be able to add the second paper. However, you can add the second paper in a given time duration at later stage by paying additional fee per change in your application. See important dates related to GATE 2024.
- I want to take TWO papers from the two papers combination. However, while filling online form I have added only one paper and made the payment. Can I create a new enrolment ID for TWO papers?
You can create a new enrolment ID wherein you can opt for a permitted TWO papers combination. However, note that your previously created ID with single paper will be rejected at later stage and NO fees will be refunded for the rejected application. The candidates are strongly advised to follow FAQ No. 29.
- I have requested for examination city change with the new city/cities by paying additional fee. Will I get the new city added?
It is not ensured that you will get newly added city only. You will get one of the cities out of three choices given depending upon the availability of the seats in that city.
- My photograph and Photo ID are exchanged in the application while registering online. Will my application be REJECTED?
Your application will be marked DEFECTIVE. You will be intimated by email, SMS or phone call from your respective Zone to RECTIFY your DEFECT (by uploading the correct images). You will be given chances for rectification up to a deadline, beyond which your application will either be considered as PROVISIONAL or REJECTED.
- What part of the photo ID should be uploaded?
The part of the photo ID with your photo and your details like name, date of birth (DOB) and ID number should be uploaded. If the details are spread over two pages (that is, backside of the Photo ID) then both (front and backside) pages must be uploaded.
- I want to withdraw my application. Will my application fee be refunded?
- I have more than 12-15 years older Aadhar card as my photo ID. Can I use it to complete the application registration?
The photo ID is supposed to have the recent photo so that the identity of the candidate can be matched against the photo ID card during the examination. If your facial features are difficult to match with your photo ID, then your candidature may be marked as DOUBTFUL IDENTITY during the examination. Hence, the candidate must upload the photo ID which bears the recent photo.
- I have uploaded Aadhar Card as my photo ID but entered the PAN Card number in place of ID Number (or vice-a-versa). Will my application be REJECTED?
Your application will be marked DEFECTIVE. You will be intimated by e-mail, SMS or phone call from your respective Zone to RECTIFY your DEFECT by either uploading the correct image of the photo ID or making the correction in ID Number field. You will be given chances for rectification up to a deadline, beyond which your application will either be considered as PROVISIONAL or REJECTED.
- I have chosen a wrong paper. Can I make correction to the application form to the paper?
Immediately after completion of the application form you will not be able to make any changes to it. However, you can change the paper in a given time duration at later stage by paying additional fee per change in your application. See important dates for GATE 2024.
- There is a spelling mistake in my name and my application has been marked as DEFECTIVE. Can I make corrections in my name spelling?
Immediately after completion of the application form you will not be able to make any changes to it. However, you can make corrections in a given time duration at later stage by furnishing supporting documents.
- I want to use my new name taken after the marriage. I have photo ID with older name. Will my application be REJECTED?
You can upload the photo ID with old name along with an affidavit. Otherwise, your application will either be considered as PROVISIONAL or REJECTED. Also, you SHOULD carry affidavit along with the photo ID in the examination hall.
- When will I receive my Admit Card?
Admit Card can ONLY be downloaded from GATE 2024 website in the first week of January 2024. Admit Cards will NOT be sent by post or as an e-mail attachment.
- Is the Admit Card alone sufficient to gain entry to the examination centre?
NO. Candidates MUST also bring original and valid photo Identity Document (NO photocopy/scanned copy/NOT an expired document), which was specified during filling up of the online application.For Indian candidates, only following identification cards will be accepted: Aadhaar-UID (preferable), Passport, PAN card, Voter ID and Driving License. For foreign nationals, documents like valid Passport, any other valid photo ID issued by their government, Driving License is acceptable.
- Can I bring soft copy of the Admit Card (in mobile phone/tablet/laptop) to gain entry to the examination centre?
NO. Hard copy (preferably printed in colour) of the Admit Card is required to gain entry to the examination centre.
GATE 2024 Examination
- For how many GATE papers can I apply?
A candidate can apply for ONE or TWO papers (from the given set of combinations as per Two Paper Combinations) of the 30 papers listed in the GATE INFORMATION BROCHURE or GATE website. The choice of the appropriate paper is the responsibility of the candidate. Some guidelines in this respect are suggested below:
- The candidates are expected to appear in paper(s) [up to two as per the given set of combinations in Two Paper Combinations] appropriate to the discipline of their qualifying degree.
- The candidates are however, free to choose any other paper according to their admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which they wish to seek admission.
- If a paper is being held in more than one session, can I appear in any of the sessions of that particular paper?
NO. Each candidate will be assigned to ONLY ONE of the multiple sessions of a particular paper.
- After submission of application, am I permitted to change my GATE Examination Paper?
YES. ONLY after the last date for application submission, a request for the change of GATE Examination Paper will be entertained against additional payment till 11th November, 2023. Any request after this date will NOT be considered.
- After submission of application, am I permitted to change my GATE Examination City?
YES. ONLY after the last date for application submission, a request for the change of examination city will be entertained against additional payment till 11th November, 2023. Any request after this date will NOT be considered.
- After submission of application, am I permitted to change my Category?
YES. ONLY after the last date for application submission, category change request will be entertained against additional payment till 11th November, 2023. Any request after this date will NOT be considered.
- Will I be provided with any white paper for rough work and calculations during the examination?
Only one scribble pad at any point of time will be provided to the candidate that can be used to do the rough work. To obtain a second scribble pad, the candidate MUST return the first scribble pad. The candidates have to return any scribble pad in their possession at the end of the examination. The virtual scientific calculator will be available on the computer screen.
- Am I allowed to enter the examination hall at any time during the examination?
NO. Candidates MUST enter before the starting time of the examination. Delayed entry is permitted such that candidates’ login NOT later than 30 minutes from the starting time of the examination. NO relaxation is given under any circumstances
- In case of permitted delayed entry in the examination hall, will I get extra time corresponding to my delayed entry?
NO. The candidate with permitted delayed entry will NOT get any extra time.
- Am I allowed to leave the examination hall during the examination?
NO. Candidates will NOT be allowed to leave the examination hall for any reason during the examination. Candidates are allowed to leave the examination hall only after the scheduled end of examination.
- What items are not permitted to be brought with me inside the examination venue?
Mobile phones, physical calculators, wallets, watches of any type, any electronic/communicating devices, books, papers, loose sheets, pen/pencil box/pouch and any other similar items are e NOT PERMITTED inside the examination hall.
- Can I use a physical calculator during the examination?
NO. During the online GATE 2024 examination, all candidates will be provided with a virtual scientific calculator which has to be used to answer the questions.
- Will there be any arrangement at the examination centre for the safe keeping of my personal items such as my mobile phone?
NO. Such arrangements will not be made at the examination centre. If a candidate brings personal belongings including mobile phones, they have to be kept outside the examination hall at the candidate’s own risk. The GATE officials are not responsible for safe keeping of your personal items.
- What happens if a physical calculator (even on an electronic watch) or a mobile phone (even in switched off mode) is found in my possession in the examination hall?
Such cases are in violation of GATE 2024 code of conduct and will lead to disqualification of the candidature.
- Is there a separate rank/paper for Architecture and Planning (AR) candidates in GATE 2024?
NO separate scores and ranks will be provided for candidates attempting either Part B1 (Architecture) or Part B2 (Planning).
- Is there a separate rank/paper for Geomatics Engineering (GE) candidates in GATE 2024?
NO separate scores and ranks will be provided for candidates attempting either Part B (Section I – Surveying and Mapping) or Part B (Section II – Image Processing and Analysis).
- Is there a separate rank/paper for Geology and Geophysics (GG) candidates in GATE 2024?
Separate scores and ranks will be provided for the candidates based on the Part B section in GG paper.
For this, separate cut-off marks will be obtained as per the common procedure but by considering the following sections of GG paper:
- For Geology (GL) candidates: GA Section + Part A: Common Section + Part B (Section -1): Geology
- For Geophysics (GP) candidates: GA Section + Part A: Common Section + Part B (Section-2): Geophysics
- Will there be a separate rank and score for sectional papers XE, XH and XL?
PwD and Dyslexic Candidates
- What are the details of the guidelines that will be followed about PwD candidates writing GATE 2024 examination?
GATE 2024 will follow the guidelines as mentioned in the government regulations. Please refer to: PWD_Guidelines
- Will the facility of scribe be given to all PwD candidates?
The facility of scribe is meant for only those PwD candidates who are persons with benchmark disability (not less than 40% disability) and who have physical limitation to write, including that of speed. However, provision of scribe shall be allowed only on production of a certificate to the effect that the person concerned has physical limitation to write, as given in the GATE 2024 information brochure.
In case of person with benchmark disability (not less than 40% disability) in the categories of blindness, locomotor disability (both arms affected-BA), and cerebral palsy, the facility of scribe shall be allowed on advance request only.
(Ref. Para No. IV of OM No. F. No. 34-02/2015-DD-III Dated 29th August, 2018.)
- Will there be a “magnified question paper” for visually challenged PwD candidates?
YES. Before beginning of the examination, please contact the GATE Institute Representative through the invigilator in your examination hall and they will do the needful.
- Will the facility of scribe and/or compensatory (extra) time be given to dyslexic candidates?
Yes, dyslexic candidates can avail the services of scribe, provided that such candidates submit a proper dyslexic certificate issued by the competent authorities (see GATE 2024 information brochure). The scribe will be provided by the GATE 2024 authorities or candidates may bring their own scribe. The compensatory (extra) time of one hour would be applicable to such dyslexic candidates availing the scribe facility.
- Is there a provision of getting compensatory (extra) time for a PwD/dyslexic candidate?
A person with benchmark disability (i.e. not less than 40% disability), who is allowed to avail the facility of scribe (see PwD FAQ No. 2 above) will automatically get additional one hour compensatory (extra) time for an examination of three hours duration.
PwD/dyslexic candidates, with certain benchmark disabilities (that limits the speed of writing) who do not want to avail the scribe assistance, but at the same time request for compensatory time during the time of application, may be considered for an extra time of one hour only if fulfilling the criteria of scribe as per the PWD FAQ No. 2 above..
- Will the facility of own scribe be given to person with benchmark disabilities (that limits the speed of writing)?
Yes, subject to fulfilling criteria of scribe as per PwD FAQ No.2 above, persons with benchmark disability (i.e. not less than 40% disability) will be allowed to opt for their own scribe, provided the qualification of the scribe is one step below the qualification of the candidate taking the examination. The candidate with benchmark disabilities (i.e. not less than 40% disability) opting for their own scribe should submit details of their own scribe as per proforma in Appendix A of the GATE 2024 information brochure. Scribe details must include latest qualification and identity documents.
(Ref. Para No. VI of OM No. F. No. 34-02/2015-DD-III Dated 29th August, 2018.)
- Can I request for a scribe at the examination centre on the day of examination?
NO. On-the-spot request for scribe at the examination hall will NOT be entertained.
Additional Information for availing Scribe services and Compensatory Time
General Information for availing scribe and compensatory time by candidates covered under Section 2(r) and 2 (s) of the RPwD Act 2016.
- PwD-A : Person with benchmark disabilities in the category of visually impaired OR dyslexic (severe) OR locomotor disability (lost fingers/hands) OR cerebral palsy thereby preventing them from properly taking the Computer Based Test may avail the services of a scribe in accordance with the Office Memorandum issued by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (see Clause IV of F.No. 34-02/2015-DD-III dated August 29, 2018) (and subsequent corrigendum F.No. 34-02/2015-DD-III(pt) dated February 8, 2019).
- PwD-B : Person with benchmark disabilities in other category which prevents them from properly taking the Computer Based Test may avail the services of a scribe in accordance with the Office Memorandum issued by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (see Clause IV of F.No. 34-02/2015-DD-III dated August 29, 2018) (and subsequent corrigendum F.No. 34-02/2015-DD-III(pt) dated February 8, 2019). Such candidates need to submit the certificate indicating physical limitation in an examinee to write or operate computer.
- PwD-C : Person with specified disability covered under the definition of Section 2 (s) of the RPwD Act, 2016, i.e. persons having less than 40% disability and having difficulty in writing are required to send an email seeking compensatory time/Scribe Assistance to email@example.com mentioning their Name, enrollment id and mobile number. The subject of the email should be “Compensatory Time/Scribe Assistance under section 2(s)”. The email has to be sent on or before December 16th, 2023. The email should contain a certificate as specified in Appendix – I of the office order (F. No. 29-6/2019-DD-III dated 10th August, 2022).
- If the eligible candidates (as described in 2, 3 and 4) choose to utilize the services of a scribe, they would also be given an option to specify if they would arrange their own scribe or they would want to be provided with a scribe by the examination body.
- The assistance that the Scribe can render to the candidate is limited to ONLY reading the instructions and test paper displayed on the computer screen verbatim and in assisting with the mouse-clicks, if the candidate is not able to do so. The Scribe shall NOT translate / interpret / emphasize the Test Paper Contents to the Candidate.
- PwD candidates having disability in terms of vision will be given an option to view the Test Paper on the computer screen in a magnified font.
- PwD candidates who have opted for Scribe in their application, must log-in to their account and select appropriate option and correspondingly submit appropriate forms, where necessary This must be done latest by 26th December 2023.
Scribes arranged by Candidates:
- Candidate and the scribe should certify that the scribe satisfies the government guidelines and qualification of the scribe is one step below the qualification of the candidates taking the examination. Candidates using their own scribe will have to provide a letter of undertaking in the prescribed proforma. (These forms are available once you log-in to your account)
- Scribe must not be a candidate for a test paper in GATE 2024. NO honorarium will be paid to the scribe arranged by the PwD candidate.
- If PwD candidate have opted to bring their own scribe but do not do so on the day of examination, then it will not be possible to provide a scribe.
Scribes arranged by Examination Body:
- Scribes will be arranged for those PwD candidates who have requested to be provided with a scribe at the time of application.
- Qualification of the scribe arranged by test center will NOT be more than the minimum eligibility criteria of GATE 2024. However, the qualification of the scribe will be matriculation (10th) or above.
NOTE: If it is discovered at any stage that a candidate has used the services of a scribe, but does not possess the extent of disability that warrants the use of a scribe, then his/ her GATE 2024 candidature will stand disqualified.
- This compensatory time of 60 minutes will be provided automatically to candidates who have opted and have been approved for Scribe.
- Candidates who are eligible to avail the facility of scribe can also opt for compensatory time of one hour, for the three-hour examination, even if they do not utilize the services of a scribe.
- PwD candidates who wish to avail compensatory time, but have not opted for scribe, must send an email requesting for compensatory time. PwD candidates, falling under category PwD-A can directly send an email requesting compensatory time. PwD candidates, falling under category PwD-B are requested to fill Appendix-I of the F.No. 34-02/2015-DD-III and send via email. The email should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject as “Compensatory Time”. The email must be received latest by 26th December 2023. Candidates can also login to GOAPS (https://goaps.iisc.ac.in/) and exercise their options for Scribe and compensatory time.
Please note that even if the candidate in category PwD-B opts only for compensatory time and not for a scribe, they need to submit Appendix-I, as mentioned above.
GATE Score Card
- Can I download the marks displayed on the portal? Or Can I print a hard copy of the same?
The marks provided on the portal are for your information only. An electronic or paper copy of this document is not valid
- Can I get the hard copy of my Scorecard?
NO. You have to download the Scorecard for GATE 2024 by logging into GATE Application portal between March 22, 2024 to May 31, 2024. Please note that there is no fee for this.
- How can I download my Scorecard after May 31, 2024?
From June 1, 2024 to December 31, 2024, the GATE 2024 Scorecard can be downloaded from GATE Application portal by paying a fee of INR 500/-. From January 1, 2025, the GATE 2024 Scorecard will NOT be available.
- Who are eligible to get Scorecard?
The GATE 2024 Scorecard will be available ONLY for the candidates who have secured marks more than or equal to the qualifying marks mentioned for SC/ST/PwD category of that paper. Other candidates will NOT get any scorecard for GATE 2024.
- What is the validity of GATE 2024 Scorecard?
GATE 2024 Scorecard will be valid for three years from the date of release of Scorecards.
- The portal shows that I have been awarded negative marks in GATE examination. Is it an error?
Net total marks for some candidates may be negative.
- The portal shows that my GATE score is negative, even though my marks are positive. Is it an error?
An equation is used for translating marks obtained, into GATE score (please see brochure), which uses various result related parameters. It is possible that some candidates may be awarded negative GATE score, even if their marks are positive.
- I have received marks less than the qualifying marks mentioned for SC/ST/PwD category of that paper. Can I still download the performance report?
Yes, candidates who have obtained marks less than the qualifying marks mentioned for SC/ST/PwD category of that paper, will be able to download the performance report, at a later date. The date will be announced on the website.
Computer Science and Information Technology (CS) and Civil Engineering (CE) will be conducted as multi-session papers in GATE 2024. More precisely, they will be two-session papers. This means that the candidates will be assigned to one of the sessions only — either the forenoon session or the afternoon session. The question papers will be different for each session. Test papers are held in multiple sessions when the candidate count is so high that they cannot all appear for the test in the same session. The scores of the candidates will be normalized according to the normalization formula given in Section 13.2 of the Information Brochure.