Photograph and Signature
GATE 2024 application requires that candidate’s photograph and signature files be uploaded online according to the following specifications.
GATE 2024 Admit Card and Score Card will contain the same photograph that you have submitted at the time of application.
- Upload a good quality, colour photograph of passport size (3.5 cm width × 4.5 cm height) with the face of the candidate covering 60-70% of the photograph.
- The background of the photograph must be white and not contain any other objects or persons.
- The photograph must show the frontal face view looking directly into the camera and must show the forehead, eyes, nose, and chin. The face in the photograph must not be covered with objects such as caps, hats, sunglasses, coloured glasses, etc. Normal spectacles for vision correction are allowed. If the candidate normally wears spectacles, a photograph with glare on the glasses is not acceptable. If the glare cannot be avoided, the spectacles must be removed.
- Photograph can be in JPEG/JPG format with minimum aspect ratio of 0.66 and maximum aspect ratio of 0.89. After cropping the photograph, the face must cover 60-70% of the image.
- The maximum pixel resolution is 530 x 690 pixels and the minimum resolution is 200 x 260 pixels. The file size must be minimum of 5 kB and a maximum of 1 MB.
- The face must be visible clearly and not covered by any cloth or shadow.
- Photographs not adhering to the specified criteria could lead to rejection of your GATE application, and the application fee will not be refunded.
- Head coverings are not permitted except for religious reasons, but the facial features from bottom of chin to the top of forehead and both edges of the face must be clearly shown.
Samples of acceptable and unacceptable photographs are shown below.
- Upload an image of your signature in JPEG/JPG format of size with an aspect ratio (height: width) of 1 : R, where the value of R can be between 2.75 and 3.75. After cropping to the mentioned size, the area of the signature must cover 70-80% of the image.
- The signature of the candidate must be in black or dark blue colour ink only.
- The file size must be a minimum of 3 kB and maximum of 1 MB.
- The maximum pixel resolution is 580 × 180 pixels and the minimum resolution is 250 × 80 pixels.
- The signature must be signed only by the applicant and not by any other person.
- If the candidate’s signature does not match with the signature at the time of the examination, the applicant could be disqualified.
Samples of signatures that are acceptable and unacceptable are shown below.